Monday, February 7, 2011

We nearly slipped backwards...

Backsliders.  That's what we (almost) were.

After our trip to South America, we got back to a mess with my mother's move to a nursing home, to piles of laundry, not feeling well, enduring a snowstorm, and just having overwhelming malaise.  I just couldn't get into the idea of selling the house in just a few months.

I really started to think ... maybe we could just stay here as long as my mother needs me here. Maybe we should stay in the house, stay comfortable, take it easy.  Maybe I don't have to go sort through piles of papers in the office, kitchen detritus, linens, photos, and on and on.  Maybe I can wait for some future date, and just sit back and relax.

And drown in it.

We did a pro-and-con list, and talked and prayed about the question of when to sell the house - sooner? or later?  And we realized that we have a golden moment right now to simplify, to lighten up. To free ourselves of the stuff that is choking us, that is burying us, and keeping us from reaching our goals.

If we prepare to put house on the market in April or May, we could move into an apartment with just our essentials.  I wouldn't have to go back to work. We wouldn't have stairs and piles of stuff to sort.  We wouldn't have 3 generations' worth of heirlooms to safeguard.  Just the necessities.  Simple.  Easier to manage.

So we're back on track.  I spent today in the office, and while it was daunting (and I'm not done...), it is do-able and in the works.

I can't wait to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment