Monday, October 4, 2010

the office ... the books

Recent work has focused on the office.

Started with books.  My beloved books.  I have about 8 boxes so far, with about 40-50 books in each.  Fiction, nonfiction, research, gardening, language, business, creativity, crafts ... books I've loved or books that sparked my curiosity or growth.  Plenty of boring books or those I never read.  If I haven't wanted to read them in the last 15 years, what makes me think I ever will?  So, I've packed them up in those many boxes and will take them to a used book store.  I retained a few that remain interesting or useful, and will either keep or dispose of them later.

(I'm still reluctant to take them to sell them, however.  I think losing the books will be ever so much harder than almost anything.  Really ambivalent.)

Then this morning, I tacked a couple of boxes from my former job.  I volunteered for a layoff a few years ago after over 15 years of a successful career.  I had kept evidence of my successes in my job - commendation notes, work product, awards, performance reviews.  It was somewhat difficult to throw it away, but I'm not looking back.  It was interesting - and felt good - to quickly review the very positive notes from many over 15 years.  But it's just not where my head is at now.  So, the trash truck will take it away today.

This isn't a spur-of-the-moment mood.  This has been building for several years, and we're now pulling the trigger to meet goals that will bring us way more real joy than what is heading for the landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment